A Brief Work History of Steve Danuser
(More comprehensive version available upon request – mail to: sdanuser at gmail.com)
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/moorgard
Creative writer, game designer, world architect, evangelist, storyteller, and leader. Specialist at originating and nurturing games and intellectual properties from inception to launch. Director-level experience within high-pressure creative environments to foster and manage teams. Able to establish, enforce, and evangelize vision for products and IP across multiple projects and studios.
38 Studios, LLC, Providence, RI – November 2006 – May 2012
Interfaced and collaborated with best-selling author R. A. Salvatore and artist Todd McFarlane to champion their story and artistic vision
Architected modular world and history timeline capable of supporting multiple game titles and ancillary products within continuity of Amalur franchise
Oversaw integration of Amalur IP into Big Huge Games RPG engine, resulting in successful launch of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in 2012
Directed creative and narrative design for MMORPG, codenamed Project Copernicus
Director, Story & IP Development – Overseer of IP across Providence and Baltimore Studios (12/2011 – 05/2012)
Creative Director – Established and drove creative vision for the Project Copernicus MMO (06/2009 – 12/2011)
Lead Content Designer / Director of Community – Built content design team for Project Copernicus / set vision and goals for community department (11/2006 – 06/2009)
Sony Online Entertainment, San Diego, CA – August 2003 – October 2006
Served on leads team for EverQuest II MMORPG, launched successfully in 11/2004
Built strong, vibrant community for EverQuest II from pre-launch through live updates
Assisted in concept and creation of multiple expansions, including Echoes of Faydwer
Game Designer – Created lore for the EverQuest franchise and built content for EQ2 live game and expansions
Community Manager – Created a vibrant and healthy MMO community, setting standards for community management
Creative Credits & Additional Skills
Author – Skilled writer and copy editor
- Projects include:
- Writing for Video Game Genres: From FPS to RPG – Edited by Wendy Despain (A K Peters, Ltd.) Co-wrote chapter “Writing for Massively Multiplayer Online Games” (2009).
- Mobhunter.com – Personal blog offering commentary on games in general and MMOs in particular. Frequently cited as one of the early influential MMO blogs (2001-present).
Speaker – Speaker and panelist at industry events
- Events include:
- GDC Online – Writing for MMOs: You’re Doing It Wrong (2009); Creators of Transmedia Stories (2010)
- IEEE Virtual Reality Conference – Design for Experience?! (2010)
- GameX Industry Summit – Beyond Raids and Ganks (2009)
- ION/LOGIN - Taking Your Community from Launch to Live (2008)
- New York Comic Con – 38 Studios Presentation (2008, 2009)
Presenter – Demonstrated product and interacted with community
- Events include:
- E3 - Demonstrated EverQuest II pre- and post-launch, as well as its various expansions (2003-2006).
- SOE FanFaire – Helped organize and moderate panel discussions, identify and invite community members to attend events (2003-2006).
Interests & Influences
- In no particular order:
- Roger Zelazny, Babylon 5, Vladimir Nabokov, George R. R. Martin, David Sylvian, Sting, The Blue Nile, EverQuest, Star Trek, Ultima I-VII, Leonard Cohen, Battlestar Galactica, the Atari 800, The Chicago Manual of Style, Archon, Lost, R.A. Salvatore, The Enchanted World, Spider-Man, the Minnesota Vikings
- Engaging public speaker for both internal evangelism and industry events.
- Excellent creative skills with the ability to clearly communicate design concepts both verbally and in writing.
- Strong conceptual thinker with exceptional game design skills and aesthetic sense.
- Collaboration across disciplines such as art and engineering to communicate vision and achieve results.
- Manages and mentors other designers to help them perform at their peak and grow in their careers.
- Extensive knowledge of online culture and gaming communities.
Available upon request